Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Missions in the Home

I was running an errand this afternoon and listening to the local Christian radio talk show. I didn't catch the entire topic, but it was talking about getting caught up in the everyday grind of our lives. A young mother of two had called in and was struggling with not being "in a mission field". She said something to the effect that missionaries have it easy because they are able to have something to show for what they are doing, that they were living it everyday. She didn't word it that way, but that is what she meant. I wanted to be able to shout through the radio to her (I try not to make phone calls on the road:)) MOTHERS, WE ARE ON A MISSION!!!!!! Everyday you are able to train up your children for the next generation. There is no greater mission than this. We are losing our children to the "world" at an alarming rate. And the key to this is it is not about what or how you are feeling, it is that self sacrificing love that only we are able to give to our children. Why have we lost this today? Is there just too much other stuff out there that we can not focus on this key element in our lives? I realize that I am needing to somehow step up to the plate more to somehow to mentor to these young mothers out there with this mentality. Now don't get me wrong, there are days, especially during the long, long, winter days when my kids are bouncing off the walls, that I too struggling with the choice to be home. This is the greatest job ever, because if you do it well, the rewards are everlasting. I don't know about you, but I would much rather spend time now training my children to be mature, responsible adults. Than to not, and struggle as I watch my grown children struggle through their lives and make all kinds of mistakes, because I was too selfish to spend my time training them up as children.

2 comments:

Red Gate said...

So interesting that you wrote this, as just the day before, I wrote a similiar one: http://redgatefarm.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/a-mothers-ministry/
Perhaps God is moving in Mothers hearts?

OurCrazyFarm said...

Great post! I was just talking this morning with Alexis (age 14) about the importance of the ministry of a mother and wife. We agreed, too, that a woman should primarily serve in her home. There are lots of other opportunities and times to use your gifts, but if you ignore your family for it you will pay the price. Satan is so clever to make careers, and anything other than being home, appear so glamorous to young women. At this point in my life I would not want to be anywhere else than at home raising my children to be Godly warriors:))